Sunday, February 17, 2008

And a few more...

I did it! I accomplished my goal of writing 40 essays a day for the 40 days leading up to my 40th birthday. From December 5, 2007 to January 13, 2008, I wrote one essay a day on what I know for sure. See the list on the bottom right of this blog for the complete list of essays.

It was refreshing, enlightening and left me feeling exuberant. That's what happens when you do something you love.

How about 40 more?

The concentration required to focus on something intently for forty days was more rewarding than I could have predicted. So I felt challenged to keep doing more.

The day after my birthday I started forty days of no refined sugar. The sneaky sugar fairy has set up shop in my pantry and I was finding it increasingly difficult to tame the pesky beast. I decided to kill it instead. I am hoping that 40 days without cookies, pastries, sugary yogurts and fruices will cleanse my pallet, reorient my tastebuds, enliven my skin, and whittle down a few pounds. Seven days to go and this has been a rewarding and worthwhile test.

Next up? Not sure. The sugar ban will expire on February 24 and it will be time to start something new. I want to do something externally focused this time - for someone's benefit other than my own.

What about a 40-day plastic bag fast? I could refuse plastic bags at the grocery store, pharmacy, and department store to carry my purchases choosing my own reusable bags instead. I think I should recruit friends and neighbors to do this with me - for one day, one week or for the entire forty days. If we use a plastic bag, we could make a small donation to a fund that could be the beginning of a microloan for a needy entrepreneur in Asia or Africa or as a contribution to GreenPeace USA.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Slightly Askew and other views said...

Lord, you should have seen me schleping into HyVee on Sat. a bag full of "old" grocery bags-oh, and by "bag full, I meant the Lawn & Leaf variety-Yeah. In the other hand a plethora of canvas totes....
The container to leave your plastic bags was literally, overflowing. Thanks to your post, I made it a point to switch out the acres of plastic & haul my perishables home via organic cotton. : )