Sunday, December 16, 2007

12. Take charge of your happiness!

(This is hard one for me to explain because I think on paper it comes off as if I don't need people or rely on them, but that is so far from the truth.)

I don't think you can hope that other people will make you happy. They can contribute to your happiness in significant ways (and to your sadness), but I believe we have to make our own paths to that blissful state based on the relationships we have with ourself and whatever divine spirit we may believe. Focusing inward for the source of happiness is not easy. Lots of people look outside themselves and find it difficult to be happy because:
  • other people don't appreciate them enough...
  • their husbands don't give them enough compliments...
  • their bosses haven't recognized all their talents...
  • people always disappoint them...
  • they aren't yet married...
The list can be long but these are external things, things you can never control.

For me, I don't want to place responsibility for my happiness soley on others. I strive to be content based my choices, actions and mind set. These are things that I know help me be happy:
  • Being in a commited relationship with someone I respect, trust and find endlessly fascinating
  • Having friendships with people who are honest, open minded and compassionate.
  • Drinking a slow cup of coffee in the morning before the world revs up
  • reading good books, a hard workout, writing....
  • taking time to be quiet and still
  • skiing, hiking, camping - almost anything on a trail

No comments: