Thursday, December 6, 2007

2. When you care enough to send the very best

In my early 20's, I read something about Jackie Kennedy's handwritten, personal notes. On her trademark blue Crane stationary, she would jot down an insightful, heartfelt message after visiting friends and meeting new people, then send if off by post. This subtle and oh-so-classy gesture made a big impression on me.

Doesn't it feel wonderful to receive a personal note? The experience far outshines the sterile, mechanic taste of email. I keep sentimental notes that have been sent to me by friends through the years. (Writing this blog post makes me want to fashion some exquisite box to lovingly store them in.)

I try to send handwritten notes, especially when I stay at someone's house, when a new friend has me to her home the first time, when I know a friend is struggling in some way, or in any situation where I want someone to feel especially appreciated.

Email is slick and easy. It serves a gigantic purpose. But nothing will replace the art and effect of a handcrafted personal note.

No comments: