Friday, January 4, 2008

31. Ditch the silver platter.

And throw out the silver spoon.

(This might be redundant with #30 but that's how strongly I feel about hard work.)

I don't think it's my job as a parent to make everything easy for my kids. I think I would do my children a disservice if I gave them everything their hearts desired or even most of it.

When young people are indulged, they begin to develop a wicked sense of entitlement. Rabi Shmuley from Shalom in Home (love him) is one of many child development experts that says spoiling kids squelches their own sense of motivation. Their God given gift of drive atrophies. And, spoiling kids turns them into people who can never be satisfied. They always want more, what they have is never enough. You know the type.

People who don't have a lot of money to shower on their kids may have a leg up in this department. But what about all of us middle-class and upper-middle class parents who have resources to indulge our tots or at least enough money to make their lives extremely comfortable? Don't we all say we want to give our kids the things we didn't have growing up? (in my case would be a washer and dryer.)

Maybe that's not such a good idea.

Donald Trump could have ended up with some twisted kids with all their family riches. But the pompous Donald did some things right. His adult kids Ivanka and Don Jr. are hardworking, ambitious and charming. (Unlike other rich kids splashed across the front page - Paris.) The Donald made them work as teenagers and pay for their own indulgences. In a recent interview, Ivanka said she was given a $300 monthly allowance in college and whatever else she wanted, she had to earn. And she had to pay for her own million dollar penthouse in dad's Trump Tower - it wasn't just handed over to her.

The Trumps rolled out the red carpet when it came to their kids' travel and education - two elements the family considered fundamental for personal development and success. But in all other areas, the Trump kids were required to work for what they wanted or invest their own money wisely to get ahead.

Would I have had that kind of discipline as a wealthy parent?

My hubby and I will be wrangling over this topic as our kids mature. He and I see things slightly differently when it comes to providing for our kids. He had tons more money growing up than I did. What would have been unimaginable luxuries to me were everday pleasures for him.

We both want our kids to the know the value of a dollar, and we want them to have the drive to provide for themselves. We may not completely agree on how we get there, but I know for sure that making them work for what they want instead of dishing it out on a silver platter will be what I push for.

No comments: