Friday, January 11, 2008

38. It's not my place to judge

My creativity is waning. The words are not flowing. But the end is sight! Will my kids ever read any of these? I have them in mind as I type away but what are the chances any of these words will be around when they are old enough to care?

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I'll meet you there.
-Rumi

I believe it is not my place to judge others. Who among us is pure and without fault? Who among us has a perfected character and saint-like virtues? Not me. We are all sinners (as the Christians like to say). I think none of us has earned a position to pass judgment on others.

My job is to deepen my own soulful qualities. If I throw stones at others for their imperfections, I become distracted from my own journey. It is sometimes easier to criticize others for their mistakes and imperfections than to examine ourselves for our weaknesses and foibles.

I may not like what someone has done, I may choose to distance myself from someone that I disagree with. It's okay to draw boundaries and protect myself. But it is not my job to condemn and pass judgment.

No comments: