Tuesday, December 11, 2007

7. Go for some "firsts."

I still make new year's resolutions. I may be the only person in the world who does. It's a nice way to give each new year a little direction.

I've had one of the same resolutions on my list year in and year out. A big one for me is that I always want to learn something new or do something for the first time. By looking for new things and venturing out of my comfort zone, I fight getting too stagnate in my increasingly old age. It helps keep me open to the opportunities that come my way.

Sometimes the firsts are really fabulous (this year's writing conference in Iowa) and sometimes they are simple (road a camel for the first time - at the zoo not some glamorous vacation but it was still a first.) Sometimes I name the things I want to try at the beginning of the year but more often than not, I don't have an inkling of the new things I might taste, attempt or jump off of. I keep an open mind so I can accept what comes my way.

What have you done for the first time this year?

No comments: