Monday, December 17, 2007

13. Be impeccable with your word.

This is the "first agreement" in a book I adore, The Four Agreements by the Toltec Indian mystic and healer Don Miguel Ruiz. It is a straightforward and powerful guide for personal conduct. If we can make these four agreements, we can begin to transform our lives and transcend doubt, personal drama and achieve more inner peace.

"Be impeccable with your word."

Honesty and integrity are essential to me. All of my friends have probably heard me say at one time or another that I don't lie. And I don't. I even shy away from the fuzzy white lie. My life makes more sense, I am clearer thinking and don't get caught up in distractions if I can be honest with myself and other people.

That's not to say that I am brutally frank and tell people I don't like their new haircut or the 1960's Christmas sweater they are parading around in. There is a difference between having integrity and being honest and feeling like you have to blurt out everything you think even if it might hurt someone's feelings. I don't do that.

Bosses and coworkers have told me for years that I am very diplomatic. Maybe that comes from years of working in sensitive positions. Being diplomatic to me means that I know how to say what is honest in a way that doesn't unnecessarily hurt people. And I know how to answer those tricky questions like "Do I look fat in this dress?" by choosing something more positive to say.

I have lied. I've lied recently and felt really bad about it. Mostly it's easy for me to be honest but I occasionally get tripped up. My intention 100% of the time is lead with integrity.

I am sure the remaining three agreements will pop up in this list somewhere along the way:
2. Don't take anything personally.
3. Don't make assumptions.
4. Always to your best.

Not earth shattering on the surface, but understanding the Toltec interpretation of how these behaviors can transform our lives is intoxicating.

Is this a book review or a countdown?

No comments: