Monday, December 10, 2007

6. I don't believe in love at first sight

Let me explain! Give me a minute! I know you'll object because you knew Bubba was "the one" when you exchanged casual glances picking over the green beans at the grocery store.

If you tell me you had love at first sight, I won't doubt you and I will cherish your special story.

But for me and my kids....

I won't teach my children (or quietly imply) that they should expect or long for love at first sight. (I'll double check this with hubbie when he gets home tonight but I'm pretty sure he agrees.)

Love at first sight is a romantic notion, but it takes a mature, patient person to distinguish powerful physical attraction from some other kind of more soulful, unexplainable, cosmic connection. If my kids hold out hope for love at first sight, they may miss out on something special because they are pining for a fantasy.

Let me also say that I believe there is usually some kind of attraction that ignites a relationship. Who knows what lights the fire - it could be phermones, shared values, a great tush. But this is a spark, not love.

Even if there is such a thing as love at first sight, I don't think love is enough. A loving, successful partnership takes more than love. You both need good relationship skills (patience, compromise, support) to transform love into partnership.

Footnote 12/27: I asked my husband and he agrees.

1 comment:

cbo said...

You should read the book Blink! by Malcolm Gladwell.