Tuesday, January 8, 2008

35. I need my friends like I need oxygen

I can't imagine my life without close friendships. The women in my life - those close by in KC and the ones from all phases of my life that live in the four corners of the country - add richness and sanity to my life. My marriage is great, my kids are life affirming, but they are not the complete equation. I need my friends too.

I've been without friends before - in a way. And, I was sourly miserable. When we moved to KC in 2005, we spent 3 months in temporary housing with no contacts in this city, no routines to introduce me to familiar faces and families. I was busy enough exploring our new hometown and shopping for a residence, but I was dangling and untethered.

It was one of the hardest times in my life with no immediate friends to turn to, to laugh with, to learn from. My soul sisters from Colorado and Texas were there for me over the wire to keep me afloat. Thank God. But I was still lonely. And miraculously, wonderful women started populating my Midwest life.

Ladies are hard wired, I certainly am, to share insights, pain and everyday antics with each other. The men in our life are fab but let's face it they don't really want to rehash, revisit, and talk it out like women do.

I'd can't imagine my life without my friends. I never want to take any of them for granted.

No comments: